Tuesday, 11 June 2013

Job Interview Tips

I recently got a new job (well December) but it feels like yesterday, and since every month since Ive been in the head office (where I had my interview) not for anything bad, just for training but it brings back the memories everytime I pass that meeting room!

Tip #1 - Research your job, I had a telephone interview first that was basically seeing if I could string a sentence together and I wasnt lying on my C.V. Talking about C.V's print it on a pale yellow coloured paper, or cream paper, make sure you tweek it to the job your applying for. As I was applying for a job in a bookies I concentrated my CV on my money handling skills and one and one people/customer service skills. On my telephone interview they basically told me that my skills and mannerisms were good but they just wanted me to know more about the business I was going into. So I found out how many stores they had, how many people they employed, what my basic duties would be. It looks impressive if you know what you are getting yourself into!

Tip #2 - Dont be afraid to be yourself. I walked into my interview in a little butterfly blouse, telling them how nervous I was because interviews terrify me! They all had a little laugh at me and then I asked why there were so many chairs in here and so many pieces of paper lying around the table because it was just making me feel worse! I think if you are human and not a practised robot everyone feels more comfortable and you can loosen up in your interview.

Tip #3 - Ask questions. Theres nothing worse for someone interviewing you thinking you have zero interest. Ask anything you feel unsure about. What are the job prospects, what are some more in depth details about the job, is there a limit to how far you can go with the company, what is the on job training like. I was shocked to find out my job training was for 6months (Im finished now YAY and finished it early) but these are things I wouldnt know if I didnt ask!

Tip #4 - Dont get confused by questions. I got asked alot of wierd questions in my interview such as, describe a time you took charge and acomplished something. Describe a time you helped train staff, Could you give orders to employee's. At that time I took them in my stride and gave honest answers it wasn't until after the interview and offered me the job they said I would do well as a manager. I am now at a stage in the company where I can do the managers job if there isn't a manager or deputy manager around. So no matter how strange the questions are answer them honestly. And if you dont have experience doing it, say so but say how much you are looking forawrd to learning those skills with the company.

Tip #5 - Sell Yourself. This is the first time your maybe new employer will see you. Look smart, look polished, make sure you smell good!! Accept that cup of tea or coffee or water before your interview it will calm you down, honest! Make sure they understand how you will be beneficial for their company. Sell yourself to them, that crappy job serving in a restaurant that you hate, can be your best selling customer service skills, you can handle any person have great one on one skills, you just need to find the skills wherever you have them and make them appropriate to the job you are applying for.

Other then that just go for it, your new job can be a new chapter in your life, look forward and don't worry about any no's you get there will be a big fat yes that makes you happy you applied for all those jobs!!

Good luck and Lots of Love

x x